18.7.14

MH17

I just heard the tragic news of the Malaysian Airlines flight reportedly being shot down near Ukraine. It is 1:34am here in Tallinn and although I am absolutely knackered I could not fall asleep so I checked Facebook hoping that I would see some positive uploads from home, though this heartbreaking story flooded my newsfeed instead. From what I can gather it seems that 27 Aussies were on board the flight. I know a lot of people who are in Europe at the moment and though I do not think any were due to be flying home today it could so easily have been somebody I care about on board that flight. 

My deepest condolences go out to everybody on board as well as all of their loved ones. Though I am not a religious person I really hope that these poor souls are saved and find solace beyond this world.

A favourite quote of mine by Max Ehrmann reads that "with all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world". Every single day I try to tell myself that this really is the case but sometimes it really is difficult to believe. Surely if the last 100 years has taught mankind anything it is that utter brutality achieves absolutely nothing? Yet we still keep blowing each other to pieces and for what? Governmental power that will inevitably be thwarted and abolished, probably by the same ruthless force and bloodspill through which it was achieved? There is no sense in it all, though that not a revolutionary statement. I don't think there are words to give this absurdity meaning, or if there are at least I don't have them. All I know is that when I go to sleep it will be with a heavy head and a heavy heart. I really do hope that one day I can rest knowing that there is peace and equality on earth.







No comments:

Post a Comment